statcounter

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

boh in pgh

band of horses, that mostly mellow, sometimes-piercing band from south carolina made their first appearance in pittsburgh last night. even though the show started late i was happy. besides, it gave me more time to down budweisers on the balcony at diesel. the crowd was not-too-big and not-too-small all at once. it was loud enough to be polite to the bands but sparse enough that i wasn’t forced to smell anyone’s back. love as laughter opened. they were mediocre as a straightforward rock trio. i must confess i didn’t listen to most of the set, as i was too busy having a discussion about old friends and drug use in philadelphia. band of horses lost no time getting into their set. they played a couple new songs from the upcoming album and a couple covers, but mostly songs from everything all the time. ben’s voice live is just like it is on the record. at times it was scary how much the band sounded like my morning jacket. i was delighted when they played “na”, which is my favorite boh song. it sounded like floating down a river. with a straw hat. and it was nice.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad to see one of us is still going to shows!

    I'm so sorry I never called you back about Monday. My work schedule has been kicking my ass this week.

    I miss you though, lets get together soon. yes?

    -Rebby

    ReplyDelete