statcounter

Monday, May 15, 2006

victor vs. the palmettos

i spent the weekend in charleston. nobody does much of anything in charleston, and while i find myself continually labeling such activity as unacceptable, the undeniably positive impact of such visits tends to suggest otherwise.

this is not something that bothers me, at least from a perspective of self-denial/hypocrisy versus jealousy/longing. rather, it makes me feel as though i work too hard, live much too far from the beach, and needlessly limit my access to first-class seafood. the realization of such things is more catalytic than crushing, more comforting than discouraging. i bought driving loafers from j crew, and a few polos from lacoste...this, i thought, was a step in the right direction. a little less black and white in my appearance, a little less time spent reading without a natural breeze to aid in turning the pages. these are things that i'm considering, as may of 2006 continues to progress.

don't ask me to make more significant motions towards this ideal that i speak of...because i don't truly believe in it. it's just something to do for the moment, which allows me to avoid the boredom of reverting to more of the same. i don't think that the people of charleston have it figured out, but i'm terribly concerned that i am also without an answer. what i will do is continue to include alcohol and music in each aspect of my life. i find music to be more repeatably enjoyed than print, and alcohol to be limitless in potential...essentially, i have decided to safeguard myself within a world of continually increasing disappointments from those around me. i think this is the secret to why doing so very little works so very well...like the people of charleston, the level of general disappointment decreases significantly when you haven't worked so hard as to achieve anything. i like that. yeah, i need to work less.

1 comment:

  1. Your site is on top of my favourites - Great work I like it.
    »

    ReplyDelete